Michelle Leng’s killing a ‘puzzle’: police

Michelle Leng said goodbye to her friends at a Sydney bus stop, went shopping at the bustling Pitt Street Mall and grabbed a juice for the train ride home to Campsie.


Three days later her naked body was found floating face down in a blowhole at Snapper Point on the NSW Central Coast.

She’d been stabbed numerous times in a violent attack before her death.

The 25-year-old from Chengdu in China, who also goes by the name Mengmei, moved to Sydney five years ago and graduated with a bachelors degree in business from the University of Technology Sydney last year.

CCTV footage from last Thursday afternoon shows Ms Leng riding the escalators inside the Myer store on Pitt Street wearing a grey long-sleeved top, black pants and black and white sneakers.

She’s then seen walking through the St James train station turnstile carrying her shopping bags and a takeaway juice before arriving at Campsie Station at 4.30pm, her last known whereabouts.

Ms Leng never turned up to the Campsie house where she lived with her aunt and uncle.

They reported her missing on Monday and a concerned friend posted images of her on Chinese social media site Weibo the following day.

When police released a computer-generated image of the deceased woman found at Snapper Point, many people suggested it could be Ms Leng and began posting “RIP” messages on social media.

Her body was formally identified through DNA testing on Friday.

Police want to speak to anyone who might have seen or spoken to Ms Leng over the Anzac Day long weekend so they can map out her final movements.

“I think if anyone knows anything about this – it’s like a piece to a jigsaw puzzle – if you’ve got any information as to her movements, come forward,” Detective Chief Inspector Gary Jubelin told reporters in Sydney on Friday.

He revealed Ms Leng was communicating with friends up until the late hours of Thursday night and speculated she might have planned to meet up with somebody she’d met online.

“There’s a lot of speculation through social media about her activities – at this stage they’re lines of inquiry we’re following up,” Det Chief Insp Jubelin said.

“She was a very responsible young lady and it was out of character for her not to stay in contact with people close to her.”

Her family, including her brother and mother in China, are devastated.

“Speaking to the brother, he was shocked by it and in a lot of pain, so they’re dealing with it as best they can but it’s a very sad situation,” said Det Chief Insp Jubelin.